CLIMATE CHANGE: If you are prone to dismiss warnings about environmental destruction as exaggerations, you might as well stop reading right away.
Truls Lie
Editor-in-chief, Modern Times Review
Published date: November 6, 2018

You can also skip articles like the ones presented in the November issue of Ny Tid about ecosystems and a «new Dark Age», Norway’s environmental shortcomings, environmental prophets and eco-philosophers, CO2, tech optimists, the need for a green sovereign, compulsive growth and greenhouse effects.

The reason for putting you through this discomfort is the upcoming Zero Conference (to be held on the 7th and 8th of November), a couple of Nobel-prize winners, and the recently published IPCC report that follows up on the 2015 Climate Conference in Paris.

Let us start with the basic facts. About 1300 people will be gathered in Oslo to talk about green leadership, renewable energy and the next generation of solar cells, the plastic jungle, green transport, circular bio-economy and emission-free travel. This is Norway’s principal meeting place for discussion on climate, energy and green growth, and the event will be be introduced by chairman Hoesung Lee of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). The IPCC’s latest 1200 page report was drafted by 91 scientists from 44 countries. Since the Paris Climate Conference they have studied 6000 papers, according to The Economist. A thorough piece of work if there ever was one, and, according to Glen Peters at CICERO in Oslo, only 10 per cent of these studies are disputed. The remaining 90 per cent are supported by 100 per cent of the scientists.

So let us get to the point here: the limiting of global warming to 1.5 rather than 2 degrees Celsius above the temperatures recorded before the beginning of the Industrial Age. This excess of half of a degree may more than halve the habitat for a vast number of insects, plants and vertebrates. To put it in more detail: 18 per cent, 16 per cent and 8 per cent respectively of these creatures will struggle for survival, depending on the rise in temperature. The half-degree seriously aggravates the situation by 50 per cent for parts of the Earth’s surface – for example savannahs becoming deserts. And corals? 99 per cent of them will disappear if future environmental efforts fail to respect the cap of 1.5 degrees, (which might at least allow 10-20 per cent to survive). One should not fail to mention the millions of people who will be displaced because of rising sea levels, or the 420 million who will have to live with prolonged heat waves, or …


Dear reader. You have read 5 articles this month. Could we ask you to support MODERN TIMES REVIEW with a running subscription? It is onbly 9 euro quarterly to read on, and you will get full access to close to soon 2000 articles, all our e-magazines – and we will send you the coming printed magazines.
(You can also edit your own connected presentation page)