From 15 to 22 October, the Astra Film Festival returns to Sibiu for its 30th anniversary edition. This year, viewers can expect a broad range of documentary films from the country, delving into myriad facets of human experience, from pressing social concerns to intimate musings on human nature.
A special feature will be the 17 Romanian productions distributed across three competitive sections: Romania, New Voices in Documentary Cinema, and DocSchool. Each promises to immerse the audience in a captivating narrative. The entire curated selection can be viewed on the festival’s official website with highlights below.
- Delving into the dark recesses of crime with Amar and offering a rare glimpse behind prison walls in Songs from the Backyard.
- Celebrating the spirit of women through films such as The Memory of the Moment and Nora.
- Exploring societal upheavals and the bonds of friendship in Between Revolutions.
- Dancing to the beats of life with musical journeys like Playback and Byst.
- Venturing into realms of faith and spirituality with Arsenie. An Amazing Afterlife and Thy Will Be Done.
- Highlighting the curative power of art in Paradise of Naïves and seeking deeper meanings in Our Daily Bread.
- Lastly, delving into intricate family narratives with Mrs. Buică and The Land You Belong.