In two weeks, 27 October – 8 November, the 24th Ji.hlava International Documentary Film Festival will kick-off with over 59 world and 26 international premieres across its over 200 films presented.
For 2020, Ji.hlava IDFF has shifted to the digital space and will feature the latest of Czech and international documentary crop, a celebration of 100 years of South Korean Cinema, Black Cinema Matters – a comprehensive showcase of Afro-American documentaries – as well as new documentaries focusing on relevant contemporary topics like COVID-19, China and Hong Kong, climate change, and the fundamental question – where is our home?
The films will be screened via DAFilms.com with 80 of the over 220 available worldwide. Additionally, several simultaneous live streams, all-day live service from the festival’s Lighthouse studio in central Masaryk square, as well as an interactive environment interconnecting the audience with the filmmakers will also be presented via the platform.
The competition section this year consist of:
- Opus Bonum – documentary films from all around the world
- Between the Seas – countries and nations of Central and Eastern Europe, including their historical, political, and cultural interrelationships
- First Lights – first great works of beginning documentary filmmakers
- Between the Seas: Student Film Competition – the most significant student films from the Eastern and Central Europe
- Czech Joy – the best Czech documentary
- Fascinations – a large factory for experimental filmmaking
- Fascinations: Exprmntl.cz – the latest Czech experimental films
- Short Joy – documentary short films
- Testimonies – films that capture the current state of the world from various angles
Films such as Hong Kong Moments (dir. Zhou Bing), Oeconomia (dir. Carmen Lossmann), Vivos (dir. Ai Weiwei), Zaho Zay (dir. Georg Tiller, Maéva Ranaïvojaona), Merry Christmas, Yiwu (dir. Mladen Kovačević), and The Foundation Pit (dir. Andrey Gryazev) are amongst the films across all sections.
Find the complete Ji.hlava IDFF programme and more information – HERE